Cookies we use
The main categories of cookies we use include:
- Strictly necessary cookies: Strictly necessary cookies are essential to enable you to receive a service on a website. For example, cookies to operate online shopping baskets, or to comply with the law (e.g. such as to keep your information safe). We would not be able to operate our website without using “strictly necessary” cookies.
- Performance cookies. These cookies allow us to count the number of visitors and collect information about how visitors use a website, for instance, which pages visitors go to most often and if they receive error messages from web pages. These cookies do not collect information that identifies a visitor. Any information collected by these cookies is anonymous. We only use such information to improve our website. By using our websites you agree that we can place these types of cookies on your device, however you can block these cookies using your browser settings (please see the ‘How to manage your cookies’ section below).
- Functionality cookies: Functionality cookies allow the website to remember choices you make (such as login details) and customised preference settings (e.g. text size). They also enable enhanced, more personal features, e.g. a website may be able to provide you with local weather reports or traffic news by using a cookie to remember which region you are in. These cookies are also used to provide services you have asked for such as watching a video. Information collected by functionality cookies may or may not be anonymised, but they cannot track your browsing activity on other websites. The functionality cookies on our website collect anonymous information.
- to help us to improve your experience of our website;
- to ensure that our website performs as you expect it to;
- to enhance site navigation;
- to help us understand browsing habits on our website;
- for internal record keeping;
- for service development;
- to answer your queries or complaints;
- to assist with verifying your identity during an online session;
- to create statistical analysis of activity on our website.
We use the following cookies on our website:
Cookie: Google Analytics
Description: These cookies are used to collect anonymous information about how visitors use our site. We use this information to compile analytical reports which help us improve our website. The cookies collect information such as the number of visitors to our website, how they arrived there (e.g. directly from the internet or through linking from another website) and tracking which webpages they visited.
How to manage your cookies
The browsers of most computers, smartphones and other web-enabled devices are typically set up to accept cookies. If you wish to amend your cookie preferences for this website or any other websites, you can do this through your browser settings. Your browser’s ‘help’ function will tell you how to do this. If you do not want the benefit of cookies, there is a simple procedure to manually delete your cookies. Visit http://www.allaboutcookies.org/manage-cookies/stop-cookies-installed.html to see these. However, please remember that cookies are often used to enable and improve certain functions on our website. If you choose to switch certain cookies off, it is likely to affect how our website works. For example, if your browser is set to disable ‘session’ cookies, although you will still be able to view our public website, you will not be able to log in to your online account.
You can prevent the setting of cookies by adjusting the settings on your browser (see your browser Help for how to do this). Be aware that disabling cookies will affect the functionality of this and many other websites that you visit. Disabling cookies will usually result in also disabling certain functionality and features of the British Future site. Therefore it is recommended that you do not disable cookies.
Download our full cookies policy here